30 January 2015 – This week’s top 5 volunteer opportunities
1. Volunteer receptionists urgently needed, and other roles at Positive East
When: At least one (five- hour) session a week.
Where: Stepney Green
Positive East is the leading HIV charity in East London, providing a range of services for individuals and communities affected by HIV.
Working as part of a volunteer team, you’ll be based at Positive East’s office in Stepney, and travel and lunch expenses will be covered.
You need to be able to commit a minimum of one 5-hour session per week for a 6 month period. All reception volunteers receive additional ‘on the job’ training for this key role.
To find out more about this role and other roles at Positive East visit their website.
2. Join the Camden Green Gym
When: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays 10.45am – 2pm
Where: Camden’s Local Nature Reserves, Parks and Green Spaces incl. Adelaide Road Local Nature Reserve, London, NW3 3QB
- Get active in your local green space with the Green Gym in Camden
- Keep fit while working outdoors and giving back to your local community
- Discover hidden gems of nature on your doorstep and help increase their use and biodiversity through a range of nature conservation tasks.
Events are run across nature reserves, parks, community gardens, and in partnership with local charities. Have a look at tcv.org.uk for more information.
3. Community Clean With Providence Row
When: Mondays Between 11 and 1.
Where: The Dellow Centre, 82 Wentworth Street, London, E1 7SA
Homeless charity Providence Row helps around 1,200 people a year with advice and support for housing and benefits, and helping vulnerable people with mental health and substance misuse issues.
Unfortunately the alleyway next to their building is in need of some TLC and they are looking for some volunteers to offer two hours 11am and 1pm on Mondays. Find out more about providence row’s volunteering opportunities at providencerow.org.uk
4. Home Library Service Volunteers needed
Where: Royal Voluntary Service, Maidstone Road, Sidcup, DA14 5HS. Then around Bexley and Thamesmead for visits.
RVS needs Volunteers to help the Home Library Service deliver and collect books, DVDs or CDs to older people who may be housebound or have mobility issues. The service provides regular, friendly and social contact for older people. It’s a great opportunity to:
- make new friends
- be part of a great team
- develop skills and experience
- contribute to the work of the charity by enriching the lives of older people.
Find out more about this opportunity on the RVS website.
5. Sound Advice UK needs a Community Music Event Volunteer
Where: St Peters Crypt, Northchurch Terrace, London N1 4DA.
Sound Advice UK is a community based music and media project created by local media and creative professionals, who organise ‘Acoustic Sundays’ – an exclusive monthly event, run by a team of dedicated volunteers.
This is an ideal opportunity for volunteers with an interest in music and performing arts. Apply on the Team London website.