Property guardianship 101: top tips from Dot Dot Dot guardians
Every few months we ask our guardians to share their top tips for anyone thinking about becoming a guardian. This month their helpful hacks focus on turning a space into a home, getting that community feel and having a positive mental attitude.
Making the space your home
As with any property, moving into an empty space can be daunting. Our guardians have some helpful hints on how to get it feeling homely.
- Get plants!
- Freecycle freecycle freecycle
- Try getting things for free and be open minded about the people you live with
- Ask friends for help, it’s really surprising just how many people have bits of furniture to give away, or are happy to help paint a wall
- Make the home your own! Put up posters and pictures – any bits and bobs to make it feel homely
Getting that community feel
Whether you’re moving to a new neighbourhood or you’re quite familiar with the local area, here’s a few tips on how to get that community feel.
- Introduce yourself to your neighbours and the local shops
- Make sure you prepare and do your research in hand of the community and volunteering
- Explore as much of the area straightaway by foot, or on a bike if you have one!
- Talk to locals and be friendly, even if the environment is different to what you are used to
- Talk to your Relationship Coordinator if you are having problems finding where to do your voluntary work
- Be proactive in getting to know other guardians in the area
Positive mental attitude
Moving house, moving neighbourhoods, beginning volunteering and furnishing your home are just a few stages in life you may be going through when you start your guardianship with Dot Dot Dot. However with that can come a lot of positive steps; saving money, getting creative, putting yourself outside your comfort zone, meeting new people, and having a positive impact in the community. Our guardians share their tips on how to get the most out of your guardianship:
- Take each step as it comes
- Have an open-minded attitude
- Enjoy what you have, and the money you are saving!
- Be happy!